Calling all clubs!
You may or may not be aware that we recently (the BDA) announced an exciting new partnership with the National Federation of Women’s Institute (NFWI)
The partnership aims to provide opportunities for WI members to get involved in the sport of bowls through our WOMEN CAN campaign.
Currently, only 32% of the bowling club population in England are women and this campaign has been developed to increase that number to 45% by 2021 and of course bring more members to your bowls club.
The programme invites WIs and Federations to take part in a 6-week bowls programme, hosted by a bowls club like yours, local to the applicant WI. Members will be required to pay a small nominal weekly fee of £3 per person, per week to take part (payable to hosting club).
Your club will need to identify someone to communicate with the local WI to make all the necessary arrangements
What is required from your club?
- A friendly, welcoming approach
- Capacity to host a WI group for 6 weeks (1-2hrs once a week for 6 weeks)
- Club equipment to loan to the group (bowls)
- Refreshments available for the group to purchase/ tea and coffee facilities
- A coach or club activator to meet the group and support them through the 6-week programme
- A relaxed dress code which allows the group to bowl in smart/casual clothes
We are now inviting all affiliated clubs to express an interest in hosting a WI group. This is not a guarantee that you will be selected to be part of a programme as there may not be any groups in your area, but we aim to get as many clubs involved as possible.
Once the deadline has passed Kara, our WOMEN CAN project lead, will start the process of putting the club contact in touch with the lead WI contact so that both parties can agree that best day/times for the group to come down to the club. We currently have over 125 WI Groups looking to get involved.